The 2020 LAND Awards are now open! Please click the links below for the appropriate application. All applications must be received by January 31, 2020.
- Emerging Dietetic Leader
- Outstanding Dietitian of the Year
- Recognized Dietetic Technician of the Year
- Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year
- Coordinated Program
- Didactic Program
- Dietetic Technician Program
Award recipients will be recognized at the LAND Annual Meeting in Baton Rouge, LA on March 30, 2020. Further recognition will come from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Distinguished Service Award
Criteria for Selection:
- Must be an individual who has provided assistance to the profession of Dietetics in Louisiana.
- Must be recommended by one or more active LAND members.
- Must be endorsed by a District Dietetic Association.
- May be a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, shall not be an active member of LAND.
- Must be approved by LAND Board.
Items which must be submitted to the Awards Committee for judging:
- Letter of recommendation by LAND member(s)
- Letter of endorsement from the District Dietetic Association.
- Resume for individual being recommended.
Submit a complete packet to LAND Executive Director
Corporate Award Criteria
Marketing the image of the dietitian and the diverse expertise of the dietetic profession will secure the future success of the dietetic profession and the economic vitality of the LAND. The Corporate Award demonstrates LAND’s recognition of the importance of marketing to the future of the dietetic profession.
Recognizing outstanding service and contributions of corporations to such marketing efforts serves as further incentive to corporations to support LAND’s strategic plan. Corporations who have demonstrated outstanding support of the principles of professionalism espoused by the Louisiana Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics need to be recognized and acknowledged with high visibility. Appreciation will be acknowledged through an award plaque presented at the Louisiana Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Meeting.
An award will be given only in years when a corporation has made significant contributions to meeting the strategic plan of LAND.
Criteria for selection for Nominated Corporation:
- Has made significant contributions to supporting the efforts of LAND (documentation is required)
- Has demonstrated dedication to marketing the diverse expertise of the dietetic profession (documentation is required)
- Has been nominated for the award by a District Dietetic Association and/or the LAND Board of Directors
Please submit a letter of nomination meeting the above criteria to the LAND Executive Director
2019 LAND Award Winners
Outstanding Dietitian of the Year
Ulrika Midner, LDN, CNSC
Emerging Dietetic Leader
Monica Taylor, MS, RD, LDN
Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year
Elizabeth R Martin, MS, RD
Kathryn Fakier, MS, RDN, CSO, LDN
Outstanding Dietetics Student in Dietetic Internship
Meghan E Moholland
Outstanding Dietetics Student in Didactic Program in Dietetics
Courtney R Hammons
Policy and Guidance
Each year the Louisiana Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics (LAND) sponsors merit scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students in dietetics. These scholarships are presented to recognize outstanding students and are intended to aid and encourage students to pursue a career in dietetics. The scholarship recipients will be invited to attend the LAND Annual Conference & Training in Baton Rouge, LA, March 30-31, 2020, at the Baton Rouge Marriott.
Applications for LAND Scholarship Awards are sent to Directors of Nutrition programs in all colleges and universities in Louisiana that offer programs in Nutrition/Dietetics. Directors are responsible for distribution of the applications to students.
To be eligible for these awards, the individual must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program in Nutrition/Dietetics in the state of Louisiana.
The LAND Scholarship Committee hereby requests applications for its merit scholarships. The deadline for all applications is January 10, 2020. All applications (including personal letter, letters of recommendation and transcript) must be submitted on or before this date to be considered.
Please follow application guidelines in each category. Only complete applications will be evaluated. LAND leadership will code the application numerically and remove all biographical data. The blinded applications will be sent to the LAND Scholarship Chair for selection of the recipients by the Scholarship Committee
Student Responsibility for Junior Merit, Senior Merit, and Irene Tolliver Pyburn awards:
- Complete online Application – http://bit.ly/2Ud7IJ0
- Complete and upload personal letter
- Request transcript from the Registrar of your College/University to be sent directly to LAND at firstname.lastname@example.org. A transcript must be submitted by the college/university. Transcripts submitted by the student will not be accepted.
- Please ask the Registrar to use subject line: Scholarship Application Transcript_APPLICANT NAME. The transcript must be received by the deadline of January 10, 2020.
- Request letters of recommendation from 3 individuals. These individuals must include the following: Program Director/Departmental Chair of the Dietetics Program, and 2 instructors (1 must be an instructor in the Dietetics Program). The letters of recommendation must be sent directly to LAND at email@example.com. Letters of recommendation submitted by the student will not be accepted.
- Please ask references to use subject line: Scholarship Letter of Recommendation_APPLICANT NAME. The letters must be received by the deadline of January 10, 2020.
Letters of recommendation must include the following:
- Applicant’s name and name of scholarship applied for
- Capacity in which applicant is known
- Length of time applicant is known
- Applicant’s potential as a student and a professional
- Applicant’s personality traits, strengths and weaknesses
- Applicant’s leadership potential
- Applicant need for the scholarship
- Any other information that would improve applicant’s opportunity to receive a scholarship
Scholarship Information & Application Guidelines
The Louisiana Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is currently sponsors five (5) scholarships:
LAND JUNIOR MERIT SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship for $500 is presented to an outstanding sophomore in an undergraduate degree program in dietetics who will be entering his/her junior year in the fall. The recipient must present evidence of university registration before monies will be issued.
LAND SENIOR MERIT SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship for $500 is presented to an outstanding junior in an undergraduate degree program in dietetics who will be entering his/her senior year in the fall. The recipient must present evidence of university registration before monies will be issued.
IRENE TOLIVER PYBURN MERIT AWARD
This award for $1000 is presented to the most outstanding senior student in Louisiana who is majoring in dietetics. The recipient of this award must be accepted into an internship or supervised practice program before receiving the award. The recipient must complete the program and plan to become an active member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The recipient should have intentions to practice in the profession.
The recipient must notify the Scholarship Committee Chair of acceptance into an internship or supervised practice program before a final selection is made by the Committee. Notification deadline close of business April 6, 2020 (applicant appointment date for the April 2020 Computer matching period).
Applicants enrolled in a graduate program at a university requiring a set number of graduate hours before acceptance into the Supervised Practice Program will not qualify for these scholarships until formally accepted into the Supervised Practice Program. Applicants may apply when these requirements are fulfilled.
GRADUATE STUDY AWARDS (2)
Two awards, each in the amount of $500. Each recipient must be an active Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics member, enrolled in an accredited college or university in the field of dietetics and/or management.
Each applicant must submit a personal letter stating their need for the scholarship along with the application. Special considerations: financial need and/or activities on the state and local level. Complete online Application at http://bit.ly/2Ud7IJ0.